The name Deuteronomy means “spoken twice”.
The entire book is a reminder of the truths of God. God sends people into our lives to get us to pause, remember,
and consider. He sends events to get us to
remember. He sends trials, pain, heartbreak, and difficulty in our
lives many times for the sole purpose to remember. That is the wonderful power of God's Holy Spirit.
However everything in Deuteronomy I have never experienced personally so how can I remember it, I ask myself. It says in Deuteronomy 4:32 "Ask now about the former days, long before your time, from the day God
created man on the earth; ask from one end of the heavens to the other.
Has anything so great as this ever happened, or has anything like it
ever been heard of?" God repeated over and over again that his people should ask their fathers about how God brought them to the promise land since they themselves never saw these miracles themselves. God was literally holding them accountable to remember. He reminds them of the promise he has for them but he also reminds them of his commandments that he first gave to the generation before them but also meant for them and the generations after them.
When I began reflect on Deuteronomy my first thought was remembering what God has personally done in my life. However I thought about it and began to think about the real purpose of this book was to listen to the miracles God has done for his people. His promises and laws that he didn't want his people to forget. He didn't want his people to forget how BIG he really is. How often we forget his HUGENESS.
Now what I remember is how God has sent his son Jesus to die for our sins becoming the ultimate (last) sacrifice needed. There is literally no way that our righteousness can ever be good enough to have eternal life. Yes this is my DEUTERONOMY. I will not forget with the help of your holy spirit. No wonder why we need to hear it over and over again. Because we do forget God's greatest gift to us just as the Israelite kept forgetting how God took them out of slavery. Thank you Jesus for continuing to remind us of how much we need you. Remind me daily Lord that only with you, do I have life!

No comments:
Post a Comment